ANN: HTSQL 2.0-FINAL -- A Query Language for the Accidental Programmer

From: "Clark C(dot) Evans" <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com>
To: "PostgreSQL Announce" <pgsql-announce(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Kirill Simonov" <xi(at)resolvent(dot)net>
Subject: ANN: HTSQL 2.0-FINAL -- A Query Language for the Accidental Programmer
Date: 2011-02-01 20:29:31
Lists: pgsql-announce
"Write someone a query, they'll go away for a day.
 Teach someone to query, they'll just go away."

Today we've tagged HTSQL 2.0 -- a high-level query language
and web service gateway for relational databases.  This
release supports SQLite and PostgreSQL.  We wrote this tool
so that business analysts could actually use a database.

Homepage: http://htsql.org
Source: http://bitbucket.org/prometheus/htsql

At this point, HTSQL 2.0 may not be mature enough for
production use; we expect to fill in any remaining gaps
in the coming months.

We're curious what you think.

Clark C. Evans & Kirill Simonov

HTSQL -- A Query Language for the Accidental Programmer

HTSQL ("Hyper Text Structured Query Language") is a
high-level query language for relational databases.
The target audience for HTSQL is the accidental
programmer -- one who is not a SQL expert, yet needs
a usable, comprehensive query tool for data access
and reporting.

HTSQL is also a web service which takes a request via
HTTP, translates it into a SQL query, executes the
query against a relational database, and returns the
results in a format requested by the user agent (JSON,
CSV, HTML, etc.).

Use of HTSQL with open source databases (PostgreSQL,
MySQL, SQLite) is royalty free under BSD-style
conditions.  Use of HTSQL with proprietary database
systems (Oracle, Microsoft SQL) requires a commercial
license. See ``LICENSE`` for details.

For installation instructions, see ``INSTALL``.  For
list of new features in this release, see ``NEWS``.
HTSQL documentation is in the ``doc`` directory.

    http://htsql.org/
        The HTSQL homepage

    http://htsql.org/doc/showcase.html
        Get taste of HTSQL

    http://htsql.org/doc/tutorial.html
        The HTSQL tutorial

    http://bitbucket.org/prometheus/htsql
        HTSQL source code

    irc://irc.freenode.net#htsql
        IRC chat in #htsql on freenode

        The mailing list for users of HTSQL

HTSQL is copyright by Prometheus Research, LLC.  HTSQL
is written by Clark C. Evans <cce(at)clarkevans(dot)com> and
Kirill Simonov <xi(at)resolvent(dot)net>.

Generous support for HTSQL was provided by the Simons
Foundation. This material is also based upon work
supported by the National Science Foundation under
Grant #0944460.

pgsql-announce by date

Next:From: DevartDate: 2011-02-04 13:53:47