Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, fgp(at)phlo(dot)org, Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Error code for "terminating connection due to conflict with recovery"
Date: 2011-02-01 20:25:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > Here's the basic patch, will work on the refactoring if no objections.
> ResolveRecoveryConflictWithDatabase works when you're not in recovery?
> That seems pretty fragile at best.  In any case, this is a 9.2 feature
> at the earliest, please do not expect people to spend time on it now.

Err, no. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

The patch works but requires refactoring, which I referred to above.
What is now called ResolveRecoveryConflictWithDatabase() would be
changed to a name that makes sense in both normal running and recovery.
That seemed so obvious that I wouldn't be leaving it like that, so I
just referred to that indirectly, which was confusing.

That allows me to refactor out the code that we just spent too long
discussing, so I was hoping to do that in this release. I wasn't
expecting anybody else to spend time on it since it is simple and clear.

I'll add it to 9.2.

 Simon Riggs