Re: REVIEW: Determining client_encoding from client locale

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Jaime Casanova <jaime(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Subject: Re: REVIEW: Determining client_encoding from client locale
Date: 2011-01-29 17:23:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On lör, 2011-01-29 at 11:50 -0500, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> * Peter Eisentraut (peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net) wrote:
> > I have adjusted your old patch for the current tree, and it seems to
> > work. I think it was just forgotten last time because the move to
> > PQconnectdbParams had to happen first. But I'll throw it back into the
> > ring now.
>
> Right off the bat, I don't like that you removed the references to SET
> client_encoding from the documentation, that strikes me as a good thing
> to keep, though it could go under the client_encoding varname
> documentation that you added.

I don't follow completely. What was changed was that instead of
documenting that PGCLIENTENCODING is equivalent to SET client_encoding,
it was changed to say that PGCLIENTENCODING corresponds to the
client_encoding connection option, and the client_encoding connection
option documents that it is similar to the client_encoding server
parameter. Maybe some wordsmithing could be applied, but I don't think
any information was actually removed.

> Also, do we really need a new set of states for this..? I would have
> thought, just reading through the patch, that we could use the existing
> OPTION_SEND/OPTION_WAIT states..

Don't know. Maybe Heikki could comment; he wrote that initially.

> I'll be going through the patch in more detail, testing, etc, and will
> probably go ahead and do the documentation/comment updates myself,
> unless someone cares.

Sounds good to me.