Re: Sync Rep Design

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sync Rep Design
Date: 2010-12-31 01:07:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2010-12-30 at 16:27 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:

> I think it's a bad idea to use the same parameter to mean different
> things on the master and standby.

Obviously if you phrase it like that, nobody would disagree. I would say
I have used the same parameter on both sides in a balanced way to
simplify the configuration, which had been an important factor in the
debate.

"You need to set parameter X on both primary and standby" seems simple
and clear. It certainly works OK for MySQL.

It's no bother to change, whichever way we decide and I'm happy to do
so.

My previous patch had two parameters:

primary: synchronous_replication = ...
standby: synchronous_replication_service = on | off

Which do people prefer?

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/