Re: BUG #5795: 9.0.2 PDF needs editing

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Leslie Satenstein <lsatenstein(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5795: 9.0.2 PDF needs editing
Date: 2010-12-20 13:40:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Excerpts from Leslie Satenstein's message of dom dic 19 23:39:38 -0300 2010:

> Using pdf for 9.0.2 version,
>
> The insert examples in section 2.4 do not function if a cut and paste from
> pdf to psql is done
>
> This is the problem
> INSERT INTO weather VALUES (’San Francisco’, 46, 50, 0.25,
> ’1994-11-27’);
> The fields city and date should have ' as delimiter, not
> ’
> Corrected is the following that works.  Error messages are not clear. It
> would be great if psql indicated invalid character as error type.
>
> INSERT INTO weather VALUES ('San Francisco', 46, 50, 0.25, '1994-11-27');
>
> In fact, there is a lot of touching up that needs to be done to this english
> pdf document. (I can do it or I can prepare a list of pages and changes
> needed to make a cleaner document)

This is probably a problem in the toolchain used to produce the PDF
rather than a problem in the source.  Please have a look at the HTML
version and see if these examples are correct there, before spending
time on doing any of this.