Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)

From: stagirus <mamasa(at)stagirus(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] Mapping Hibernate boolean to smallint(Postgresql)
Date: 2010-09-29 12:06:50
Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-jdbc
>>* use a real boolean column in their schema (I mean, the data you're
representing IS a boolean value in this case, right?);
--- No, we already tried this path. Unfortunately boolean is not portable
column type among DB vendors. So, we ruled out this option.
* use setObject(column, value, Types.SMALLINT) instead of the implied
setBoolean() call when setting the column (this may be tricky to do
since you have a layer between you and the driver, but that's not really
the driver's fault..); or
---I am not sure if our application developers have this option. Hibernate
handles this for us. I am not pointing fingers. I am curious how other DBs
or JDBC drivers handle it so transparently.

* add a suitable implicit cast on the backend side from boolean ->
smallint (not sure if this works, haven't looked at the details)
-- we will look into it.

Do any of these work for you? The first suggestion seems to be the
simplest to me, since you really are storing a boolean, not a smallint,
and you have control over the DDL.
--Not yet, please.

Sent from the PostgreSQL - jdbc mailing list archive at