Re: installer problems

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, Samuel Rettore <rettore(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installer problems
Date: 2010-09-24 15:09:15
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Excerpts from Peter Eisentraut's message of vie sep 24 10:55:58 -0400 2010:
> On fre, 2010-09-24 at 11:38 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > I didn't know that existed - thanks. Unfortunately the first box I
> > tried it on didn't have it, but that's quite old and not a supported
> > platform anyway. if it does exist on everything we support, then that
> > could work.
>
> It's tempting, but I would caution against that.  The installer might
> work just fine (or 95% fine) on unsupported platforms, but if you just
> shut people out you won't know.  Of course you might want to print a
> *warning* based on lsb_release.

I think the logic is if lsb_release exists on all supported platforms,
then use it to determine whether this is a supported platform or not.
If it doesn't exist, then you know it's not a supported platform in the
first place.