Re: Confusing Linux download page

From: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, PostgreSQL www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Confusing Linux download page
Date: 2010-06-16 21:40:54
Lists: pgsql-www
On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 16:34 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Basically I see the status quo as there having been a fork of RPM
> generation, with neither side wanting to admit that there was a fork
> in the first place ...

Well, I created the yum repository, CMD owned it (which was quite
normal), and I used the same code when I created mine, and added many
updates since then (my repo has more packages than the other one).

But this is not the whole story. I was already maintaining RPM packages
before we created yum repository, for Fedora and for community. My
archives say that I've been building packages since 7.2. So, which is a
fork? I don't have a definite answer ;)

Anyway, I don't want to be involved in this thread, except changing
package suffixes. Even though I believe that I should keep PGDG suffix,
I am really willing to change it, just to make sure that community feels
fine.

I created another repo, since I had ~ 40 servers that would prefer to
use *my* packages, and also I use packages on my 4 personal machines.
These were enough reasons for me to create another repository. Then, I
made it public, and many people started using new repository. During
this time, I helped Lacey whenever she asked, and I will continue
helping her anytime she wants. I hope these explains my attitude.

Regards,
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
PostgreSQL RPM Repository: http://yum.pgrpms.org