Re: installdir patch for win32

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com>
Cc: "'pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installdir patch for win32
Date: 2004-03-25 17:34:39
Lists: pgsql-patches

Claudio Natoli <claudio(dot)natoli(at)memetrics(dot)com> writes:
> Supplement to previous win32 patch for dfmgr. Win32 replacement for
> configure time constants like PKGLIBDIR.

This is exactly the sort of cruft I was hoping we would not get saddled
with by a Windows port.

If the problem is that we need PKGLIBDIR not to be frozen at compile
time, then let's fix the problem for everybody, not add a pile of
undocumented #ifdef WIN32 hacks. (And it is a problem for everybody;
see for example
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-general/2004-03/msg00894.php
which boils down to the complaint that pkglibdir shouldn't be frozen
by configure. The RPM packagers would also be happier if they could
make relocatable RPMs of Postgres.)

Every "#ifdef WIN32" I see reduces my opinion of the quality of work
being done for this port.