Re: Why the separate jade calls for pdf and ps output?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why the separate jade calls for pdf and ps output?
Date: 2010-04-29 16:21:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

On tor, 2010-04-29 at 10:53 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> doc/src/sgml/Makefile asserts
>
> # Regular TeX and pdfTeX have slightly differing requirements, so we
> # need to distinguish the path we're taking.
>
> However, diff'ing the results shows that the .tex-pdf and .tex-ps output
> files are actually identical. Would it be reasonable to simplify the
> Makefile by eliminating the separate build rules? I guess we'd have to
> make an arbitrary choice between texdvi-output and texpdf-output flags.

It has to do with graphics support, because tex and pdftex support
different graphics formats. Since we don't currently have any graphics,
it's dead code. I think you can actually do away with it anyway because
TeX should support graphics file references without extensions, ISTR.
So the actual reason for this might have been RTF support.

If it's in the way, remove it. We can always add it back when someone
wants to add a graphic. (And in that case we'll probably have to do
some additional coding somewhere anyway.)