Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: recovery_connections cannot start (was Re: master in standby mode croaks)
Date: 2010-04-24 09:32:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 19:33 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:

> Principle of obvious breakage.

That is a good principle. It can be applied both ways here.

Changing user interfaces (or indeed, anything) to very little obvious
gain is a considerable annoyance to users. IIABDFI

We need to be aware of the timing issues on the project. Changing
something that has been the same for years is just annoying to existing
users and makes upgrading to our brand new shiny software much harder
than we ourselves would like that to be. But also, deferring solutions
to user problems for vague reasons also needs to be avoided because
waiting til next release moves the time to fix from about 6 months to
about 18 months on average, which crosses patience threshold. So in
general, I seek to speed up necessary change and slow down unnecessary
change requests. I think we're improving on both.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com