Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Alex Hunsaker <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 9.0 and standard_conforming_strings
Date: 2010-01-29 22:34:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> I stand by the position that it's way too late in the cycle for
>> insufficiently-thought-out proposals for major behavioral changes.

> I don't see how announcing this earlier in the dev cycle would help, at
> all.

We would have more than no-time-at-all to test it and fix any breakage.
Just to start close to home, do you really trust either psql or pg_dump
to be completely free of standard_conforming_strings issues?  How about
JDBC or ODBC?  Python drivers?  PLs?

The really short and sweet answer is that if you have any ambition at
all to ship 9.0 this year, it is too late to add new work items.  This
is a work item, and not a small one.