Re: postgresql db account

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu>
Cc: Sean Davis <sdavis2(at)mail(dot)nih(dot)gov>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org, Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Subject: Re: postgresql db account
Date: 2006-10-05 14:01:50
Lists: pgsql-novice

Ray Stell <stellr(at)cns(dot)vt(dot)edu> writes:
> Thanks, again, someone said there was no pw on the account, but if I
> set local md5 I am prompted for a pw. Enter doesn't let you in. Is
> the default known?

Yes: there isn't one. If you want to use pw authentication, you have to
first set a password for the superuser account, then change the auth
method. This is why pw auth is not the initial default.

(Actually, if you do a manual initdb, you can specify a password at that
time and choose pw auth as the default auth method too. But this
approach is discouraged by most pre-packaged installations.)