Re: reindexdb hangs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: dx k9 <bitsandbytes88(at)hotmail(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: reindexdb hangs
Date: 2007-08-29 23:05:26
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yeah, an extra fetch of the pg_class row doesn't seem all that nice.
>> I think you'd want to check it in approximately the same two places
>> where pg_class_ownercheck() is applied (one for the 1-xact and one for
>> the multi-xact path).

> Actually, the 1-xact path does not need it, because the check is already
> elsewhere.

Yeah, but if you do it there it's one added comparison
(isOtherTempNamespace is very cheap, and you can get the namespace
cheaply from the already-open rel). This way you need an extra syscache
lookup because you are insisting on doing the check in a place where you
don't have easy access to the pg_class row. Doesn't seem better.