Re: Adding Japanese README

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Adding Japanese README
Date: 2011-06-29 23:24:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tatsuo Ishii <ishii(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> I would like to propose to add Japanese translated version of README
> in the source tree(for example against backend/storage/buffer/README).

I think this is basically a bad idea, because 90% of the developers will
be unable to update such a file when changing the source code, or even
verify whether it's an accurate translation. Thus it will inevitably
become out-of-date, and that seems worse than useless. I'm fairly
dubious that someone who doesn't read English will be able to make much
sense of the source code anyway.

> Please note that I am not against adding README translated in other
> language. I just don't understand other than Japanese.

That's another problem: if we add Japanese, why not six or seven other
languages?