Re: Advertising standards WAS: Vote on Windows ...

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Advertising standards WAS: Vote on Windows ...
Date: 2009-07-13 08:42:47
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Sat, 2009-07-11 at 11:20 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Rob Napier is correct in pointing out that we don't have clear standards
> for this. They'd be very hard to write due to the need to balance value
> provided because of the above.

Again, why is it very hard to write standards that concern installers,
yet 2 weeks ago you yourself proposed (on the www list) that we write a
new policy for training companies? Both Dave and yourself are clearly
arguing there for policies and controls.

Let's have a policy (or group or other mechanism) that includes
*everybody* and lets's ensure that people closely associated with the
companies involved are not the ones making the decisions that their
companies benefit from. (Would you expect CertFirst to be the moderator
of the new training policy?)

Perhaps there *is* a need to "balance value", perhaps not. If there is,
it cannot be left up to the people providing things to decide the value
of them.

We cannot ignore the significant majority of people that have voted that
they want to see an alternative to the current links. There are many
people watching and waiting for some action, not reasons why nothing can
be done.

(I personally would not stand for election to any policy group.)

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com