Re: LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
Date: 2006-08-18 00:58:01
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Tomeh, Husam" <htomeh(at)firstam(dot)com> writes:
> I'm getting the following errors on one of my pg server running postgres
> 7.4.5 on RedHat AS R4.
> LOG: could not receive data from client: Connection reset by peer
> LOG: incomplete startup packet

> What I found out is that there's a networking VIP monitoring port 5432
> every 15 sec and that's basically used for failover so that the
> application will re-direct user requests to another server with
> identical pg database in case of database or server failure.

As long as you know what's causing it, it's safe to ignore --- it's not
harming anything except wasting a process launch each time. If you
hadn't known the cause then I'd be worried about whether some hostile
is portscanning your network ...

What you *should* be worrying about is that you are still running 7.4.5.
That's two years old and there are a big pile of known bugs in it,
some of which *will* eat your data.