Re: Hot standby, recovery infra

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Hot standby, recovery infra
Date: 2009-01-30 11:11:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-29 at 14:21 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> It looks like if you issue a fast shutdown during recovery, postmaster
> doesn't kill bgwriter.

Thanks for the report.

I'm thinking to add a new function that will allow crash testing easier.

pg_crash_standby() will issue a new xlog record, XLOG_CRASH_STANDBY,
which when replayed will just throw a FATAL error and crash Startup
process. We won't be adding that to the user docs...

This will allow us to produce tests that crash the server at specific
places, rather than trying to trap those points manually.