Re: SSD performance

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "M(dot) Edward (Ed) Borasky" <znmeb(at)cesmail(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: SSD performance
Date: 2009-01-23 17:30:07
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 09:22 -0800, M. Edward (Ed) Borasky wrote:

> I question, however, whether there's much point in seeking an optimum.
> As was noted long ago by Nobel laureate Herbert Simon, in actual fact
> managers / businesses rarely optimize. Instead, they satisfice. They do
> what is "good enough", not what is best. And my own personal opinion in
> the current context -- PostgreSQL running on an open-source operating
> system -- is that

This community is notorious for "optimum". MySQL is notorious for "satisfy".

Which one would you rather store your financial information in?

I actually agree with you to a degree. A loud faction of this community
spends a little too much time mentally masturbating but without that we
wouldn't have a lot of the very interesting features we have now.

There is no correct in left.
There is no correct in right.
Correctness is the result of friction caused by the mingling of the two.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

   503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/
   The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997