Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date: 2002-01-22 01:06:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> Remember that a schema is a named representation of ownership, so anything
> that can be owned must be in a schema.  (Unless you want to invent a
> parallel universe for a different kind of ownership, which would be
> incredibly confusing.)

I don't buy that premise.  It's true that SQL92 equates ownership of a
schema with ownership of the objects therein, but AFAICS we have no hope
of being forward-compatible with existing database setups (wherein there
can be multiple tables of different ownership all in a single namespace)
if we don't allow varying ownership within a schema.  I think we can
arrange things so that we are upward compatible with both SQL92 and
the old way.  Haven't worked out details yet though.

Have to run, more later.