Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 9.0

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "PostgreSQL Advocacy" <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Ron Mayer" <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL 9.0
Date: 2007-01-30 22:20:35
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-general

"Dawid Kuroczko" <qnex42(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> My point is, its not about throwing money at a problem. PostgreSQL
> seems to be having right people at the right place and benefits from
> it. They do the hard work, they do it well, hence 8.0, 8.1, 8.2 and
> upcoming 8.3 release. If you buy these people out, it will take time
> to find and teach new ones. Writing RDBMS is not dusting crops,
> ya know. ;)))

Buying out a company wouldn't affect dedicated people; they'd find a job
somewhere else and keep right at it. Companies have disappeared on us
before (Great Bridge, Pervasive) and the project is still here.

I think one significant difference between us and MySQL is that that
project probably *could* be killed by acquiring and shutting down one
company.