Re: Window functions patch v04 for the September commit fest

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Window functions patch v04 for the September commit fest
Date: 2008-09-02 09:44:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2008-09-01 at 21:00 +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> 1. It's important that what gets committed now can be extended to handle
> all of the window function stuff in SQL2003 in the future, as well as
> user-defined-window-functions in the spirit of PostgreSQL extensibility.
> Even if we don't implement all of it in this release.

I think whatever public APIs get published now must be sufficient to
support user-defined-window functions across all future releases, so on
that point I agree completely. (One reason why I argued earlier in
favour of avoiding an API for now).

We shouldn't restrict the implementation of the internals to be upward
compatible though because I foresee some aspect of complexity stalling
and thus killing the patch in the short term if we do that. We don't
have much time left for this release.

If we only have the combined (brain * time) to get a partial
implementation in for this release then I would urge we go for that,
rather than wait for perfection - as long as there are no other negative
effects.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com