Re: DB Analysis

From: Mark Roberts <mailing_lists(at)pandapocket(dot)com>
To: arjun(at)greatgulfhomes(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DB Analysis
Date: 2008-08-07 21:59:46
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Thu, 2008-08-07 at 14:40 -0400, Arjun Datta wrote:

> For example, if someone is running a piece of code that affects say,
> 1000 records in a table, how long should it take ? Is it possible to
> answer that question ? If so, how would I analyse it ?

As for what each query should do.. I'm not sure that this question has
an answer. It would relate entirely to your database schema and how you
write your queries, and I am not aware of any benchmarks or metrics for
this kind of information.

On a side note, there's plenty of resources as to what each tuning
parameter does and what the optimals are for many situations.

-Mark