Re: replace training blurb with upcoming pug meetings?

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: replace training blurb with upcoming pug meetings?
Date: 2008-05-28 22:11:19
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 10:58 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-05-28 at 19:47 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Robert Treat wrote:
> > > In an effort to give more visibility to the pugs, one idea that was
> > > floated around was replacing the training blurb on the main site with
> > > an "upcoming pugs" section, modeled after the upcoming events. The
> > > training blurb would then be changed to a direct link saying "looking
> > > for training?" (or similar) which would take you to the full training
> > > page. There are some logistical issues that would need to be worked
> > > out to make this happen, but before we go down that path, I wanted to
> > > get a general consensus on the idea. thoughts?
> >
> > Any way we can have both? I agree it's a good idea to get upcoming
> > pugs, but I'd like to keep the training info somehow.
>
> I think it is a matter of deciding the purpose of the space. IMO .Org
> should be all about community, not all about advertising for commercial
> providers. That isn't to say we shouldn't help the people who help us
> (obviously) but it is to say that a PUG should come before CMD, EDB or
> any other commercial entity listed.
>
> That being said, we have a problem in that the front page is remarkably
> cluttered. It is trying to tell people entirely too much all at once.
> Something has to give if we are going to add PUGS. Training or Latest
> News seems the most appropriate.

Yes, it is cluttered, so I think we should scroll down the page and make
more space for ourselves.

The community includes commercial people too. And the commercial people
only exist because they are wanted and needed.

The suggestion to have a list of PUGs over training could go the other
way too. We could say "Want a PUG?". If they do, they'll click. That is
of course fairly silly, but then so is "Want training?", which hides
anything interesting and unusual and effectively kills it. If we do that
I may as well pack up and just offer one course called "Training".

People want a way to scan all things that might be of interest, not one
category or another. Yes, we need a way to expand the PUGs.

--
Simon Riggs www.2ndQuadrant.com