What's New

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: What's New
Date: 2008-04-16 10:06:36
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-www

We need a way to link to the release notes for the latest production
release, so people can easily see What's New.

1. Currently its very hard to locate a description of what the new
features in the latest release are. You have to know how the docs are
structured to find it easily. If you click on the Home Page's "Notes"
link for 8.3.1 you go to the minor release notes for 8.3.1 and there is
no obvious link to the notes for 8.3.0 which is where all the main
features are described. We don't even say that's how it works, so
there's no way of knowing you aren't viewing *all* the info. So if you
don't know, and most people don't, 8.3 looks like a minor upgrade from
8.2 only, so why bother.

2. There's no permanent URL for What's New in the latest release, so
people that put links to us externally need to continually update their
links. Google's What's New link points to 8.2 release notes. I could
contact them and say "Hey Google, you're wrong" but ISTM the best way is
for us to provide a permanent URL that we can then link to from Google
and our own home page. Then we only need to ask them to do this once.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com