Re: New email list for emergency communications

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New email list for emergency communications
Date: 2008-03-26 10:39:33
Lists: pgsql-hackerspgsql-www
On Mon, 2008-03-24 at 12:01 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Mar 2008 19:31:16 +0100
> "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de> wrote:
>
> > Yes, i was asked more than once by ppl using a Google talk account.
> > Would be nice to have them added without adding another account in
> > pidgin.
> >

> Apparently I have more work to do than anyone else :P. I have zero
> desire to have people contacting me from gmail, yahoo or other such
> thing. I am busy enough.
>
> The purpose of the jabber server was to allow contributors direct
> access to each other. If we open it up, that has the potential for even
> more communication overload.
>
> If we really want a public jabber server we can do that but I would
> like it to be separate from the internal jabber.postgresql server. We
> could then setup the public jabber server so that it can communicate
> with the private jabber server.

If people want the public chat, why don't they just use gtalk or
whatever public service they prefer?

I don't see a reason for us to run one private and one public server. In
fact, I don't see a reason for us to run a public one at all - if we
were running that, we could just as well run nothing.

AFAIK every reasonable IM client people would use today can easily add
two jabber accounts (or more), so I don't see the problem, really.

//Magnus