Why the separate jade calls for pdf and ps output?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Why the separate jade calls for pdf and ps output?
Date: 2010-04-29 14:53:56
Lists: pgsql-docs

doc/src/sgml/Makefile asserts

# Regular TeX and pdfTeX have slightly differing requirements, so we
# need to distinguish the path we're taking.

However, diff'ing the results shows that the .tex-pdf and .tex-ps output
files are actually identical. Would it be reasonable to simplify the
Makefile by eliminating the separate build rules? I guess we'd have to
make an arbitrary choice between texdvi-output and texpdf-output flags.