AW: selecting from cursor

From: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
To: "'Alex Pilosov'" <alex(at)pilosoft(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: AW: selecting from cursor
Date: 2001-07-03 08:36:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> > That's gonna have to be fixed.  If you're not up for it, don't implement
> > this.  Given that cursors (are supposed to) support FETCH BACKWARDS,
> > I really don't see why they shouldn't be expected to handle ReScan...
> I thought only scrollable cursors can do that. What if cursor isn't
> scrollable? Should it error during the execution?

In PostgreSQL, all cursors are scrollable. The allowed grammar keyword is
simply ignored. I am actually not sure that this is optimal, since there
are a few very effective optimizations, that you can do if you know, that
ReScan is not needed (like e.g. not storing the result temporarily).

Andreas

Next:From: Rainer KluteDate: 2001-07-03 10:25:31