Re: Recommendations for Java XA toolkit to use with Postgresql

From: joël Winteregg <joel(dot)winteregg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Garber, Mikhail" <mgarber(at)amazon(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Recommendations for Java XA toolkit to use with Postgresql
Date: 2007-11-21 21:45:55
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Mikhail,

I'm not a JTA expert but I have been trying several TransactionManager
regarding my needs (a specific standalone J2SE RMI server which is using
Hibernate as Postgresql "driver"). So I tried several TransactionManager
with Hibernate:
- The first one was Atomikos solution but I had many problems and was
not able to make it work using postgresql-jdbc. You can check the
following URL for more informations:
http://www.atomikos.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1280 (at the end, it
seems that Atomikos has compatibility problems with postgresql-jdbc)
- The second one was Jboss implementation, but using the following
example
http://wiki.jboss.org/wiki/Wiki.jsp?page=JBossCacheHibernateTransactionsStandaloneExample I was not able to make it work too (but I must say, I didn't tried too much to make it work because of the no-LGPL licence)
- The third one was BTM and that was a good try ! Now i'm using it and
it just work like a charm. While I was testing it using PG logs, I just
found a strange behaviour in postgresql-jdbc XA
(http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2007-11/msg00051.php) but it
is now fixed (next postgresql-jdbc release will include the fix).
Here is maybe what you need for a first test using BTM and Spring:
http://docs.codehaus.org/display/BTM/Spring+Framework
BTM seems to be a small project developed by a single Belgium guy but it
was the best solution i found... Maybe you will find some more JTA
framework on Spring web page !

For JOTM, I never tied it because it seems to be a bit old (the last
news on their website is from: 16th May 2005 and the last install
package from: May 17, 2005)

I hope it helps a bit !

Regards,

Joël