Re: [HACKERS] Release notes introductory text

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Release notes introductory text
Date: 2007-10-11 21:12:01
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 16:04 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> This release represents a major leap forward by adding significant new
> functionality and performance enhancements to
> <productname>PostgreSQL</>. Many complex ideas that normally take years
> to implement were added rapidly to this release by our development team.
> This release starts <productname>PostgreSQL</> on a trajectory moving
> beyond feature-parity with other database systems to a time when
> <productname>PostgreSQL</> will be a technology leader in the database
> field. Major new capabilities in this release include:

Well said.

PostgreSQL is already well beyond the open source pack and I can point
to many features that exist in commercial databases that have their
origin in our code base. PostgreSQL has long been a focal point for
Computer Science research and we should shout about it.

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com