Better space efficiency on home page

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Better space efficiency on home page
Date: 2007-10-05 08:22:16
Lists: pgsql-www

Home page layout still needs a few tweaks in my opinion.

The shaded part that contains the Elephant picture is still too big and
the information it contains doesn't really warrant that much. The first
thing I see when I look at the home page is a huge hole with no useful
content at all.

ISTM we could get "Full Announcement" and "Release Notes" on the same
line, move up the elephant by two lines, saving two lines.

Put "Support Us" into a box that uses about 25% of the width of Featured
User, but on the right-hand-side, so they are horizontally adjacent.
Support Us gets a box around it, attracting more attention.

That should then allow Latest News, Upcoming Events and Planet
PostgreSQL to move up a few lines.

We then should allow more history on News and Planet PostgreSQL, so they
both go to the bottom of the available space.

Your thoughts?

--
Simon Riggs
2ndQuadrant http://www.2ndQuadrant.com