Re: [Solved] Postgres performance problem

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Ruben Rubio <ruben(at)rentalia(dot)com>
Cc: Bill Moran <wmoran(at)collaborativefusion(dot)com>, Chris Mair <chris(at)1006(dot)org>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Solved] Postgres performance problem
Date: 2007-08-30 18:08:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

Perhaps you had a long-running transaction open (probably a buggy or
hung application) that was preventing dead rows from being cleaned up.
Restarting PG closed the offending connection and rolled back the
transaction, which allowed vacuum to clean up all the dead rows.

If you're not running regular VACUUMs at all but are instead exclusively
running VACUUM FULL, then I don't think you would see warnings about
running out of fsm enties, which would explain why you did not notice
the bloat. I haven't confirmed that though, so I might be wrong.

-- Mark Lewis