Re: Firebird 1.5.3 X Postgresql 8.1.3 (linux Firebird 1.5.3 X Postgresql 8.1.3 (linux and and windows)]

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "andremachado" <andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Firebird 1.5.3 X Postgresql 8.1.3 (linux Firebird 1.5.3 X Postgresql 8.1.3 (linux and and windows)]
Date: 2006-04-27 16:13:26
Lists: pgsql-performance
"andremachado" <andremachado(at)techforce(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> Firebird has something similiar to EXPLAIN. Please look below.

Hm, maybe I just don't know how to read their output, but it's not
obvious to me where they are doing the min/max aggregates.

> Is there something really wrong with the postgresql configuration (at my
> previous msg) that is causing this poor performance at these 2 queries?

I don't think it's a configuration issue, it's a quality-of-plan issue.

Could you put together a self-contained test case for this problem?  I
don't have the time or interest to try to reverse-engineer tables and
test data for these queries --- but I would be interested in finding out
where the time is going, if I could run the queries.