Re: About the pid and opts files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Tatsuo Ishii <t-ishii(at)sra(dot)co(dot)jp>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: About the pid and opts files
Date: 2000-06-26 03:07:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Failure scenario: Normally, TZ is unset. I log in remotely from a
> different time zone to administer a database server so I have TZ set to
> override the system's default time zone. I `su postgres', do something,
> pg_ctl restart. All the sudden the server operates with a different
> default time zone. This is not an unrealistic situation, I have done this
> many times.

Right --- it should be *possible* to change these vars, but it should
take some explicit action. Having a different value in your environment
at postmaster start time is probably not enough of an explicit action.

This whole thread makes me more and more uncomfortable about the fact
that the postmaster/backend pay attention to environment variables at
all. An explicit configuration file would seem a better answer.