Re: install on ubuntu

From: Tim Bowden <tim(dot)bowden(at)westnet(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Michael Dean <mdean(at)sourceview(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install on ubuntu
Date: 2007-02-15 06:26:06
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, 2007-02-13 at 20:56 -0800, Michael Dean wrote:
> Are there any explicit instructions anywhere on installing either a
> compiled source package or binaries of 8.2.3 under ubuntu 6.1 with list
> of dependencies?

On a very minimalist etch RC4 (I think) install, I compiled postgresql
with
./configure --with-perl --with-tcl --with-openssl --with-pam --with-ldap
--enable-thread-safety

Needed to install the following:
Dev tools:
gcc
make
autoconf
flex
bison

Libs:
libc6-dev
libldap-2.3-0
libreadline5-dev
zlib1g-dev
tcl8.4-dev
libgcrypt11-dev
libssl-dev
libpam0g-dev
libldap2-dev

Some of these will already be installed on a standard Ubuntu install.
Some packages in ubuntu 6.1 may be updated from what is available in
debian so version numbers may change, but otherwise this should give you
a good idea of what you need.

Have you had a look at what the latest postgres package in debian sid
is? You probably won't be able to install the compiled package because
the latest sid dependencies won't be available in Ubuntu 6.1, but if you
get the sid postgres source it should compile fine on Ubuntu (so long as
the dependency packages haven't been split or changed between Ubuntu 6.1
and now) though I haven't tried this myself.

Generic debian source compiling instructions here:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-sourcehandling.en.html

Is that what you were after?

HTH,
Tim Bowden