Re: max_fsm_pages and check_points

From: Ragnar <gnari(at)hive(dot)is>
To: ALVARO ARCILA <arcila_alvaro(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: max_fsm_pages and check_points
Date: 2006-12-20 09:01:28
Lists: pgsql-performance
On miĆ°, 2006-12-20 at 05:31 +0000, ALVARO ARCILA wrote:

> HI,
>
> I've looking around the log files of my server and lately they
> indicate that I should consider increase the check_point segments
> because they're beeing reading too often and also recommend increasing
> the max_fsm_pages over 169728...

if this has been happening for some time, some tables
might possibly have become bloated with dead rows, so
a one-time VACUUM FULL or CLUSTER on these might be indicated
to speed up reaching the steady state.

I think the max_fsm_pages is a minimum recommendation, so you
might want to look at VACUUM VERBOSE output after setting it,
to see if an even higher value is indicated

> those are the config values present in the postgresql.conf
>
> shared_buffers = 1000
> work_mem = 8192

if you have got a lot of memory, you might want to experiment
with these a little

gnari