Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Steve Poe <steve(dot)poe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgresql data integrity during RAID10 drive rebuild
Date: 2006-11-29 17:11:23
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2006-11-29 at 08:56 -0800, Steve Poe wrote:
> I need some input from the Postgresql community.
>
> Our animal hospital runs Postgresql 7.4 on a 6-disc RAID10. The
> database logs are on a separate RAID1.
>
> We're using an LSI MegaRAID 320-2X controller. The controller reports
> one 146GB SCSI disc has failed in the RAID10 performance is in
> "DEGRADED" mode. The database seems to be running fine but slower.
> I've never had to replace a disc in an array with Postgresql running
> on it. LSI says I can replace the disc and do a rebuild while
> everything is running. I am of course concerned about data
> integrity/corruption.

Well of course do a backup, but LSI is correct it will rebuild
correctly.

> Has anyone had to rebuild one of their disc in an array of their
> database?

Of course :) and you should be fine. However make sure you grab a backup
just in case, and check the firmware version on your LSI. There was a
parity bug that caused data corruption a coupld of revs ago.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/