Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [CORE] RC1 blocker issues
Date: 2006-11-27 21:30:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Of course they do, again need not want. CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY is
> > a great feature but it isn't something that is whiz, bang, pow (such
> > as the enormous performance increase between 7.4/8.0 and 8.1).
> >
> > Our most active customers, even those with many hundreds of millions
> > of rows per table, can create an index reasonably quick based on the
> > hardware they run. They just schedule it to run after hours or on
> > off peak.
>
> All that needs to happen is for this to take 49 hours. Suddenly,
> there's a use case ;)

Agreed :)

> > Of course every feature in 8.2 is appreciated, but that doesn't mean
> > I have customers clamoring for them. I am just now getting most of
> > our customers to move to 8.1. I still have many customers on 7.3.
>
> That's a big problem for both you and your customers. At some point
> in the not too distant future, 7.3 will get EOLed.

Not a big problem for me, a big problem for the customer. They have all
been warned. I will smile humbly as I collect the migration check.

> > Especially since many of my customers are now running multi-hundred
> > gigabyte databases. They need a serious reason to upgrade because it
> > will be a long outage.
>
> The performance and feature gains from 8.1 to 8.2 are fairly easy to
> justify on this scale.

Not if they aren't having performance problems now.

> > Which pushes them to 8.4 potentially, which makes things even more
> > interesting because what I list above, is what *my* customers want
> > and have wanted for a long time (and yes, I tell them the same thing
> > everytime... any time you want to cough up some money, I will put
> > developers on it :)).
>
> Have any of them gotten close to doing this? What approaches have you
> tried?

ODBCng was a successful project that was a direct correlation between
need and solutions available.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/