Re: Proposal: vacuum and autovacuum parameters to control freezing

From: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Proposal: vacuum and autovacuum parameters to control freezing
Date: 2006-11-05 18:24:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

> After re-reading the above, it strikes me that maybe names based around
> "freeze_min" and "freeze_max" would be useful?

Works for me. They are clearly related, yet different and allow a
straightforward explanation of their need and use.

e.g.

vacuum_freeze_min The latest TransactionId that will be "frozen" during
a VACUUM is calculated by CurrentTransactionId - vacuum_freeze_min.

vacuum_freeze_max
The maximum age, calculated as distance from CurrentTransactionId, that
will be allowed before a autovacuum will be forced for that database
object.

--
Simon Riggs