locale and encoding advice

From: Reece Hart <reece(at)harts(dot)net>
To: SF PostgreSQL <sfpug(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: locale and encoding advice
Date: 2006-08-03 22:48:21
Lists: sfpug
Does anybody know of an idiot's guide to the ins and outs of selecting
database encoding?  I remember reading on pgsql mailing lists about
gotchas when using some choices of locales or encodings with some
postgresql features. I recall that someone -- David Fetter, I think --
wrote something disparaging about SQL_ASCII.

My needs are simple: modern linux (suse 10), x86_64, pg 8.1.4, mostly
American English, occasional use of tsearch2. I don't understand the
tradeoffs between C, SQL_ASCII, UTF8, or any of the other possibilities.

Any recommendations?  I'm in SQL_ASCII now, but I'm about to rebuild and
this is a good time to reconsider.

Thanks,
Reece

--