Re: Can functions return NULL value?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
Cc: Andrea Austa <aausta(at)athena(dot)polito(dot)it>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can functions return NULL value?
Date: 2000-05-09 13:50:41
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee> writes:
>> This will be possible in 7.1 with the new function manager interface.
>> Right now, it's not possible.

> Who is doing the new function manager interface.

Me.

> Is there a preliminary description somewhere ?

I posted a proposal to pghackers around 20 Oct last year; it's changed a
little since then but not much.

> What is the planned timetable?

7.1.  I have fmgr.c code that compiles (as of late last night) but
probably still has bugs.  I haven't started on converting any individual
functions, nor have I touched the PLfoo modules yet.

> I ask because friend of mine is working on plpython (and has the
> basics working) on current code but he is quite turned off by the
> ugliness of current function manager (and SPI interface).

Wasn't planning to touch the SPI interface in this go-round, but if
someone else wants to...