Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: vacuum and routine maintenance docs
Date: 2006-01-19 11:54:30
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Wed, 2006-01-18 at 17:24 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Why is Managing Database and Routine Database Management separate?

I assume you mean the "Managing Databases" and "Routine Database
Maintenance Tasks" chapters. I think these chapters are separate because
they address fairly different subject matter. You could call the latter
chapter "Routine Maintenance Tasks" without loss of meaning, as it
doesn't focus on maintaining individual databases per se.

> Server configuration is kind of vague... Perhaps PostgreSQL
> configuration?

Personally I don't think that's an improvement, although I'm not
completely satisfied with "Server Configuration" either.

> But then why isn't that under Managing Databases :)

Because that chapter describes managing individual databases and
tablespaces, not an entire PostgreSQL instance.

-Neil