Re: Can PostgreSQL do data type automated casting in

From: Mark Lewis <mark(dot)lewis(at)mir3(dot)com>
To: Kris Jurka <books(at)ejurka(dot)com>
Cc: Tjioe Ai Xin <xinxincute(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Can PostgreSQL do data type automated casting in
Date: 2005-11-21 23:37:26
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Here's a thought; do you think it's feasible to detect cases where the
protocol=3 driver throws an error due to invalid or ambiguous typing
issues when the protocol=2 driver would just do the expected thing?

Instead of throwing the error back to the user, could the driver then
issue a 'describe statement' call, use the result to disambiguate the
parameter settings, and re-issue the call?  It increases the overhead
but only for the error cases, and the result could be cached to avoid
repeating that overhead.

I haven't done any hacking in the driver yet, so maybe it would be too
much of a pain to implement to justify any possible gains.

-- Mark Lewis