Installing postgresql on Windows results in initdb failure

From: frank church <pgsql(at)adontendev(dot)net>
To: pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Installing postgresql on Windows results in initdb failure
Date: 2005-07-13 17:21:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32
In trying to install postgresql 8.0.3 on Windows I got an error on running the
initdb script, that caused the whole process to be aborted and reversed.
Not even a log  was created inspite of the dialog asking me to read the log
message before closing the it.

The application failed to initialize properly (0xc0000022).Click on OK to
terminate the application

Failed to run initdb: 128!
Please see logfile in c:\program files\postgresql\....

Is there a workaround for it or a known cause for it?

pgsql-hackers-win32 by date

Subject: Re: Tons of postgres.exe processes