Re: Postgres in government

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>,Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres in government
Date: 2005-05-19 20:17:48
Lists: pgsql-advocacypgsql-general
On Thu, 2005-05-19 at 15:59, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Ron Mayer wrote:
> > Josh Berkus wrote:
> >
> >> Three large Federal agencies I'm not allowed to mention :-(
> >

> > I'm curious why they can't be mentioned?  A NDA regarding the
> > technologies used?  Classified projects?
>
> I would guess because the people above them don't know their using
> PostgreSQL ;)

Thats one reason.  Some of them actually are classified, so thats
another reason. Another I've heard is some agencies trying to stay
vendor neutral (ie. they see being open about their technologies as an
endorsement).

The other bit about some agencies putting up "powered by oracle" and
what not, in a lot of those cases, the agency receives a deep "discount"
on the software in turn for allowing their name to be used in
promotional materials... we don't exactly have that kind of leverage.
(Of course determining if a discounted oracle install is really a
discount if you could do the same thing with postgresql for free is an
exercise I will leave to the taxpayer)

Robert Treat