Re: Indexes not always used after inserts/updates/vacuum analyze

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Michael G(dot) Martin" <michael(at)vpmonline(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Indexes not always used after inserts/updates/vacuum analyze
Date: 2002-02-28 05:00:25
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Michael G. Martin" <michael(at)vpmonline(dot)com> writes:
> I just ran a vacuum analyze with the specific column. Still get the
> same explain plan:

Did the pg_stats data change noticeably?

ANALYZE is a statistical sampling process in 7.2, so I'd expect the
results to move around somewhat each time you repeat it. But if it
changes a lot then we have a problem.

You could also try

ALTER TABLE symbol_data ALTER symbol_name SET STATISTICS n

for larger values of n (10 is the default) and then re-ANALYZE
to see if the stats get any more accurate. The default of 10
was more or less picked out of the air ... perhaps it's too small.