Re: Consultants/support company list

From: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
To: Magnus Hagander <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Consultants/support company list
Date: 2005-03-17 21:53:58
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, 2005-03-16 at 19:41, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> As a good project to figure out how the system works that backs
> www.postgresql.org, I've taken upon myself to fix what's needed to
> migrate the list of consultants / support companies to the new web
> framework.
>
> I've got it more or less done. The data is now backed by the database
> instead of just a plaintext file, for easier updating. The updating is
> done through /admin/.
>
> A preview of what it looks like right now, with just two companies
> copied over from the old one, can be seen at
> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/support/professional. Please don't use
> that form, it currentlyi sends broken mails to my personal address ;-)
> You can view it, but don't submit it. Thanks.
>
> If the list grows really large, it should probaly be split into
> different pages. But we'll get there later :-)
>
> I have the edit pages done as well, but no good place to put them up for
> show. But the form is basically the same.
>

> My two questions:
> 1) Does this look good enough? Anything needs changing?

The company descriptions are too tall... several regions will have
dozens of companies, how far down will people have to scroll? I think
you better plan for large lists now rather than think you can add it
later.

Grey text on grey background is not good... is it winter time in Sweden
right now? ;-)

Look at the listing for agliodbs... their url is busted, we will need to
make sure we have some data scrubbing going on.

One thing I was hoping to include in the entries was a #href so that
companies could put up links directly to their entry if they wanted.

Another thing that would be nice is to allow companies to self update
these entries... perhaps some password hash code be sent to allow them
to edit an entry if they provided the proper hash ?

> 2) What should we do about the old onesv (currently on techdocs at
> http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/admin/consultants.php). Our options are
> to either copy them all over, or to just ask the people to re-submit
> them. I'm not sure how up-to-date that list is. If it's not up-to-date,
> or there is at least a serious risk that it's not, it might be better to
> start from a clean sheet (we can of course send a mail to those
> companies that list their contact addresses).

I think this is fine... we could get maybe a 1/2 dozen companies to
populate it at first... test it out, and then send email to the rest
where possible. I can put a redirect on techdocs to point to the new
page, and provide disclaimer about things being up to date.

> I intend to add functionality to the system to request confirmation that
> registrations on the system are still current, so we won't be in a
> situation where we're unsure about (2) next time..

I'm assuming that this will send an email to the slaves so someone can
review and apply changes?

Otherwise a very nice start!

Robert Treat