Re: Development Plans

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Development Plans
Date: 2005-02-27 20:01:45
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-hackers

Thanks to all replies on this thread over last few days, many good point
and useful contributions, thank you.
[Please excuse many non-replies, since I've been ill.]

On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 09:41 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > - What are you working towards? Performance? Stability? X?
>
> X, definitely X.

Thats clear then. ;-)

> We're working toward PostgreSQL being indisputably the very best SQL RDBMS in
> the world.

Hmmm, interestingly, that is not my objective. *Most-used* is both a
sufficient and eventually realisable goal for me to contribute towards.
Best seems like a niche, and not always a cost-effective one.

> > I think I've come to understand the answers to many of these questions,
> > but these answers are not written down. When I do answer them, I try to
> > make it clear that I present a personal opinion only - but that always
> > gets strange looks. People really do not understand why there is no
> > official answer, and take that as a black mark.
>
> Well, they're used to dealing with private companies and company-sponsored
> projects. These things have marketing-driven agendas. We are a
> non-commercial, all-volunteer OSS project. You will need to educate people
> on this.

Well....I'm trying, thats why I wanted all of those things written down.

> > Other projects such as Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenOffice have much of this
> > type of information easily available
>
> OpenOffice.org and Fedora are both single-company-sponsored projects, with
> marketing-driven goals. I don't know about Ubuntu.

OK, thats a good point.

Ubuntu is single company too, and worse, it doesn't work on my laptop.

> > - certainly commercial software
> > vendors spend a good deal of time on providing this information.
>
> Yep. And commercial vendors ship releases whether or not that release is
> stable or actually contains the features advertised.

Hmmm. Well, companies differ, lets say that.

> > Could we find a way of expressing the project philosophy in writing, so
> > I can convey that message out to the world, exactly as intended, without
> > any Riggs filtering?
>
> That's not a small order, if we want to do it right. Why don't you prepare
> a Faq-ish page that covers these issues based on the responses you've
> received on this thread? I can add it to the Press FAQ.

OK, well I was hoping that one-of-Core, not necessarily yourself, would
be the one to put pen to paper on such an issue.

...but, I guess I'll have a stab at it.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs