Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.0.X and the ARC patent
Date: 2005-02-25 11:02:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2005-02-25 at 00:18 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Simon Riggs wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 18:17 -0500, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > > For development, this means we will _not_ have a shortened, non-initdb
> > > 8.1 release but a regular release cycle with the typical big batch of
> > > features.
> >
> > Might we set a rough date for Beta freeze for 8.1 then?
> >
> > September 30th 2005 ?
> >
> > I see only benefit from publishing a not-before date now. It's up to
> > Core if it slips, but it'll really help with gaining funding if people
> > can accurately determine whether or not features can be added for
> > inclusion in the next release. There are lots of potential donors
> > waiting, so lets give them some certainty about which release their
> > payback will occur in....
>
> Yea, probably September, but you can't dump a huge feature on us in
> August either without having talked about it first, so knowing the date
> might not be that helpful.

[Sorry, just brought this up as part of another more general thread.]

That's fine. Just have two (rough dates):

- Major Feature Design Freeze - June 2005 (or 2Q2005)
Major features may require significant discussion, prototyping and
performance testing before agreement to include. You are advised that
major features presented for initial code review may not be accepted
after this date.

- Overall Feature Freeze - Sept 2005 (or 3Q2005)
All code implementing new features, large or small, should be complete
by this date. Features may be rejected if supporting tests and
documentation are not provided.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs