Re: run httpd and postgresql on different machines ?

From: Scott Marlowe <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>
To: chen(at)musc(dot)edu
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: run httpd and postgresql on different machines ?
Date: 2005-01-18 15:44:50
Lists: pgsql-admin
On Tue, 2005-01-18 at 07:36, Chuming Chen wrote:
> Hi, all,
>
> I want to set up a web site using apache httpd, php and postgresql. From
> the performance point of view, which  architecture is better? 1)  Run
> httpd and postgresql on the same machine; 2) Run postgresql on seperate
> machine. My concern is that the machine I am going to run httpd has
> limitted storage. I am expecting the increasing of postgresql database
> once I set it ip.
>
> Any suggestions and comments will be highly appreciated.

It really depends on whether apache/php and postgresql are going to be
fighting for the same resources.  apache/php tends to be CPU intensive,
while PostgreSQL tends to be I/O intensive.  It might be more economical
to simply upgrade the I/O subsystem on the one machine to be bigger and
faster than to build a whole other machine.

On the other hand, setting it up on two machines allows you to configure
each one as the other's fail over so you can improve your reliability
and performance.